Transport is at the heart of economic success. Better transport connectivity and accessibility can improve access to jobs, increase the number of customers that businesses can reach, and reduce barriers to trade and competition. Across the country, leaders at local and regional level are calling for ambitious investments in transport.
But while good transport is a necessary condition for growth and success, it is not a sufficient one. This workshop looks at the wider issues and encourages you to do likewise in relation to your own work.
The workshop will explore case studies looking at developing integrated plans for transport, housing and economic growth, learning about the conditions for successful transport-led growth, and sharing experiences of working with stakeholders at all levels of government. Looking at -
- using 'place-based' analysis to support policy and investment decisions
- the challenges of integrating, planning and delivering across a range of different services
- working with leaders at different levels of government to create a shared sense of purpose.
The session is led by Tricia Hayes, Director General for Roads, Places and Environment at the Department for Transport.
It is designed for senior managers (G6/7s) and Fast Streamers to help you to think about
- making the right choice: how do you ensure you get it right?
- how to make sure the elements are properly joined up
- understanding the context so your policy will work
- managing stakeholders and their (often) competing aims
Knowledge Series workshops provide the opportunity to:
- learn from the real experiences, insight and achievements of those who have actually worked on a high-profile Government project, a problem area or in a particular situation
- learn from your fellow delegates/ gain the benefit of their different viewpoints
- make new contacts beyond your Department and build your professional network
Policy Profession Discovery Sessions
This is part of a series of discovery sessions with the Policy Profession Unit. For further details about the other sessions please see our blog More Policy Profession Discovery Sessions.
This session is designed for senior managers (G6/7s) and Fast Streamers.
Where: Apex Court, Nottingham, NG2 4LA
When: Wednesday 13 November, 10:00am to 12:30pm
Book your place on Eventbrite: Policy and planning - essential lessons from transport and infrastructure