Are you an Armed Forces Veteran and a civil servant in the South West or Wales? Would you like to connect and network with other Veterans in the Civil Service, who understand your background and can support you in making the transition into a civilian career? Have you made the transition and are willing to share your experience with others?
Lee Bushby joined the Cabinet Office after a successful career in the Army and would like to connect with others, with a view to establishing a network for Forces Veterans. Lee’s thoughts on what such a network could achieve are to:
- connect with Veterans who understand your background and help with personal development for a career in the Civil Service;
- share experiences and issue faced when leaving the Forces and joining the Civil Service;
- provide support for new entrants who are Veterans;
- mentor potential new entrants, providing support on CV writing and interview skills;
- promote the contribution Veterans make to ‘A Brilliant Civil Service’;
- hold breakfast clubs and informal social events;
- raise awareness of funding and support that is available to Veterans;
- promote the Civil Service as an employer of choice to local Regiments, Corps and Reserves;
- provide advice, guidance and support for Civil Service Reservists
If you or someone you know is a Veteran and are interested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Comment by Dave Stockton posted on
A commendable initiative which I hope will spread if successful. There is likely to be synergy with the Civil Service Reserves programme, so I would suggest establishing links with the Reserves Champions with offices in the region and the RFCA will of course be a key stakeholder if this is to be a success.
Best of luck!
HMRC, VOA and RCDTS Reserves Champion
Comment by John Mark Haskey posted on
Dave, where in the country are you? I would like a chat if possible - email@example.com
Comment by Lee Bushby posted on
Hopefully things will take shape shortly, we are having our 1st meeting next month to see how we can shape the network.
Comment by Maxine Webb posted on
I run a support group for Veterans and families of serving personnel within the CS. I'm an Army mum, the group is called Stand 2 Support. I am based in IE in Sheffield and would be really interested in connecting with other members of the military family working throughout the UK